Friday, March 30, 2012

RECOVERY - WEEK 3, Friday UPDATED

March 30, 2012

Both daughters/partners are out of town this weekend, but Jessie and Matt stopped by today on their way to the mountains and we had a great visit.  Amanda was here yesterday, with a set of light weights and a "Superman" T-shirt for Peter ("Because he is," she said).

Today has been spent walking, mostly, and we finally made the trip to the dump, stopping by to see friend Gayle Dauverd and her new puppy, Baxter, on the way.  Her dogs (and Gayle) made Peter smile.

Small kindnesses mean a lot - and there are so many that I can't list them all.  But our mechanic, Tim Hull, dropped of my repaired tiller as a favor, and I finally got out to till some ground today.  It still seems a bit damp in the garden, and I don't have the hang of this rear-tined machine.  But it turned up some dirt.  I fully believe the science that shows that being dirty makes us happy...to a point, at least, and since my diet is all vegetables and fruit now, I figure I should grow some.  I am trying to squeak in some plants before it gets too late.
Our friend Joe Coates has been out here every day, coaching Peter through some of his exercises, encouraging him to walk, keeping him awake, and giving me a break.  Joe is a lot of fun to be around, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to visit with him, too.  His curious spirit reminds me a lot of my father's, and he is fun to explore ideas with.

I wrote my bi-weekly newspaper column this morning, and am about to go out and trim some donkey and horse hooves.  The day is just too beautiful to stay indoors.

Big night tonight...we went out to the Depot where a friend Sally Deaton's blues band is playing.  We didn't stay long, but saw a lot of friends, and Peter's backpack (with the pump) worked well.  The night out also got Peter to bed later...another help towards getting him off of his hospital-nocturnal habits.
 Despite having the larger, longer lasting formula bags, I found that the tube itself tended to get gunked up if I don't flush it every four hours.  Fortunately my old "dorm mother" skills of waking up and getting back to sleep are still employable, and the schedule isn't too rough.  I set the coffee pot at night so it is waiting on me in the morning.  And, fortunately, sleeping until 9 is an option if I need it.

Tomorrow is Peter's birthday and sadly the thing I'd ordered him didn't arrive.  But I've come up with another plan.  His email address is greenriverband@aol.com if you want to send greetings. 


6 comments:

  1. It wax good to see you both today. And thanks for taking my stuff to the dump! That was awesome. Happy Early Birthday Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOSOSOSOSO excited to see you all tonight! It blessed my heart to the ends of the earth!! Happy Birthday my friend! many, many more! Love you Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what you flush the tubes with, but Coca-Cola works wonders. I imagine you cringing at the thought, but man, it is so nice when it flushes well, and gunky tubes sure are irritating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter (and Susan),
    I emailed Jessie a couple of weeks ago to see how the surgery went, and she gave me the link to your blog. I joined and got caught up the day you came home. 'No cancer'! Hurray! And I'm sure coming home was good for your mental health! I know I'd want to get out of the hospital ASAP, but I'd have to rent one of those 'Susans', and even for a basic model the expense must be staggering. I'd have to cancel my retirement:( FYI to read emoticons rotate 90 degrees clockwise; otherwise I'll have to use a lot more puerile exclamation points, connoting a state of mind I seldom can achieve, and generally don't approve of ;) (that's my go-to emoticon -- ironic smile)

    Saw the Hurricanes get blanked 5-0 by the NJ Devils last night. Listening to the post-game locker room interviews on the drive home was painful. They were real dejected, though did their best strike a :) reframe -- building for next year. Maybe being in the basement is a good thing, the right place to lay a solid foundation? You were wise to avoid the Devils and take your chances with Lightning:) However, given such a dismal season over-all, maybe I can upgrade to side-line seats, w/ more leg room for tall people such as yourself.

    I have a humorous photo involving a musician friend that I was going to include here, but I think only the blog owner has that kind of power. Maybe this the reason it got set up that way, so people like me couldn't post pictures like this one, as it's a little on the lewd side. I'll put it in an email. Plus that way I can use real emoticons!

    I've got a couple more days of work to finish some notes and disability letters, pack everything up, come home and glue the remote to my palm ;) And I'll check AC/DC's tour schedule, find out when they're coming to our neighborhood.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter,

    Hope you got the Birthday card! I tried to find "your kind" of music to accompany the words, but all that was close was "Stray Cat!" I hope every day is better, and every day you get stronger, and that soon you will have your voice back, and life will get back to normal...whatever that is!

    Love you,
    Sharon

    I just have to hope you get my comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum...this post went through a different process, which makes me wonder if you are seeing my posts...I send them fairly often...hope so, as I want you to know that I think of you and pray for you...

    Love, again,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.