Monday, March 12, 2012

[BY SUSAN]
Well, folks, surgery is scheduled for 11 tomorrow.  We will show up at 9 and I don't know what happens after that.  Jessie and Amanda I will wait together for the bulk of the time, and I always take way too many books, knitting, magazines, etc.  You'd think I was sitting there a week or more if you peeked into my backpack.


Surgery is typically 5 hours.  Our friend Bret Stolp, an anesthesiologist at Duke, called today to tell us that we have a top-notch anesthesiologist in addition to top-notch surgeons. Like I've said before, I've been pleasantly surprised at Duke.


We have the farm covered thanks to Holli and Leon.  New cats are settling in, and the horses are in a routine.  The warmer weather will make things easier...no blankets!

Last night all the children came out (two daughter, two partners), and we had a great time.  Jessie's partner, Matt, helped Peter select music for his iPad from my iTunes folder and download some that they had given him for Christmas/Hanukkah. It took a while (I have a PC and he's an Apple professional), and Peter and I were both impressed with his patience and willingness to stick with the long process.  Thanks, Matt.


Peter chose to purchase a Sly And the Family Stone album, and when he began to sing, "Stand!" I realized this will be the perfect song to play when he needs to get up out of the bed and doesn't want to. 

Now we need to find a walking song.  Any suggestions?  I love Tracy Chapman's "Talkin' About A Revolution," where she says, "You gotta run run run run run run run run run...."  But we don't want Peter to run, just walk.  He LOVES song lyrics, so make him smile with something about getting up and walking.  Alice Gerrard has a great one that says "Get up in the morning and do right..." 


We've tried to be light-hearted through all of this, but we're pretty nervous and scared.  I am thankful to have had so many things to keep me busy and distracted over the past week,, but I can't keep that ruse up any longer.  This is real, and it is tomorrow.


Please remember the "no visitors" request from the hospital, and us.  We'll rely on this blog to keep you updated initially.  Thank you again for all of your kindnesses and incredible support.


8 comments:

  1. good luck today!

    and how about "Walk Don't Run" by the Ventures (alas, no lyrics; it's an instrumental) or "I'm Walkin'," by Fats Domino.

    my thoughts are with you today.

    --Neil Offen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, record Edwin Starr's "25 Miles" for Peter. Chorus is "Got to keep on walking, got to walk on..." Great song for him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 11:31 and I imagine you, Jessie, and Amanda are hunkering down for your long wait on Peter. Sending lots of love. And some recommendations for songs.

    "Walking on Sunshine" -- Katrina and The Waves
    "When you go walking after midnight" -- Stanley Bros
    "Walking in my sleep" -- traditional old time

    And my favorite... "Walk On Boy" --- check out Doc Watson's version.

    Emily B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALSO!

    The Grascals' "Keep on Walkin'"

    Donna Ulisse's "Walk This Mountain Down"

    The Gibson Bros. "Walking West to Memphis"

    Jimmy Martin's "My Walking Shoes,"

    Emmylou Harris' "Born to Run" (although you might want to save that for later in the recovery period)

    And last but not least (for this short list)...

    George Jones "Walk Through This World with Me."

    <3 Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is one I think Peter will love...a great walking song!

    Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons - Walk Like a Man
    ►►

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYZBVbifh8Mar 21, 2009 - Fatensiddique
    Album: Super Night of Rock and Roll (2009)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Looks like you have several excellent selections for "walking" songs when the time is right!
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you've got the Big Knife behind you, Peter.

    A couple of walking songs I didn't see on anyone's list. These are for moderate speed.Though they're as different as can be, they have almost the identical same beat:

    Walk ont he Wild Side (Lou Reed)
    Walk This Way (Aerosmith)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.