Friday, March 16, 2012

Recovery Day 3, Good Night


This journey is really is a roller-coaster of moderate highs and lows.  Peter took two walks of 9 laps each = one mile.  But on the second walk, with Jessie, he began coughing.  Medically this is good, and probably the result of all the walking and breathing exercises, and will clear his lungs.  Personally - it hurts.  Nurse Stephanie said a mile was plenty, and he could forego the 3rd walk.

Today he simply tuckered out before 7pm.  I got his bed into the right "shape" for him, and Stephanie helped him get settled.  For once I got home before dark.  Holli had the horses fed, and Gayle brought us curry from Twisted Noodle (yum).

When I got home I found some lovely letters and one with a prescription for hot tea (mmm) and a "petty cash fund" for me to use for whatever would bring comfort.  What a lovely idea!  I figured I'd already spent most of it on the hotel room (which brought SO much comfort), but it made that decision seem all the more right.  And I realized that I'll accept this kind gesture and "pay it forward" to someone else in need of comfort in the future.  Pretty amazing.

By leaving early I didn't get to meet the night nurse, and won't get there before shift change tomorrow.  I called  in later and he (!) seemed great.  I will be able to sleep well, I think.  Every day it gets easier to be gone a little more.

Wondering what Recover Day 4 will bring?  Day 3 needs to roll on towards sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, Peter is tough and so are you.. He knows what he has to do to get back on his feet and he will.. Breathe. Rest. Know that we are all here for you. Love you guys! Peter, I've been listening to the r&B stuff you gave me a while back "til Your Fool Comes Home" by James Hunter made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.