Sunday, March 25, 2012

RECOVERY - DAY 12, GOING HOME!

We have a new favorite doctor, Betty Tong.  She has many wonderful attributes, but the most important right now is that she paved the way to, "Get the *&%$ out of here."  Today!



Peter doesn't cuss much, and rarely uses the word indicated above, but that phrase became his mantra yesterday.  If they had not given him permission to leave today, I think he'd have walked out on his own. 

I got here early, and when the docs came by on rounds we were ready with questions.  They really don't send you out of here with too many instructions.  No swimming or bathing, but showers are fine.  Peter can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.  Despite the fact that he's been off of all pain meds for several days, they don't want him to drive, and the riding mower is probably too bumpy for a while.  But long walks in the woods are called for, and Peter can't wait to be in his own bed.

He is coming home without his voice.  A few of you  said you'd missed this part of the blog.  The tube they put down his throat for surgery irritated his vocal cords and the nerve that serves them.  And part of the surgery itself requires stretching the left cord.  So Peter can only whisper, and is advised to speak as little as possible.  He can't talk on the phone. They'll re-assess the situation when we go back on April 10th, but most likely the problem will resolve on its own.

They were able to get Peter on a 16/8 feeding schedule.  That means that he'll be untethered from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., and back on the pump from 4 p.m. until 8 a.m.  Our nightlife out at the clubs of the Triangle will suffer, but we can manage, I think, until April 10th.


10 comments:

  1. Tell Peter "welcome home" for me when you get there. And tell him not to do anything too crazy too soon!

    Dick MacPhail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was holding my breath about today! I am so thankful that Peter is home! I can hear both of you sighing with relief. While it is a bit scary becoming the only "nurse", it is still better to be at home. Please let Peter know that I am his cheerleader! I did the "movement" meditation, so now I will do the "voice" one...( I have to think on this, but if it requires using my voice, I can do that, can't I? LOL)

    Love,
    TSIL
    (the sister in law!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!! It will be great to sleep in your own bed tonight! Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping you are home and Peter is admiring your toe nails. Xoxoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get the heck out of here! Such welcome words!!! :)

    Rick and I are overjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was just thinking.. We probably do all the cussing for him.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter, So glad that you are home. Now is the time to heal! It is not the time to take on the world. Healing is an art form all of its own. Be patience with yourself and others. Laughter
    and music are my perscription for the day.

    Dick and I are so happy that you are down on the farm again.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.