Tuesday, March 27, 2012

RECOVERY - Day 14

Early after Peter's diagnosis I had a work-related meeting with the Reverend Lisa Fischbeck, who said something that has stuck with me...that although Peter and I would be going through this journey together, our experiences would be very different.  That's true enough to seem obvious, but I had not considered it.  Remembering Lisa's words gives me the opportunity to step back from my own experience and consider Peter's.



That difference manifested itself last night.  I slept well, and only had to get up once at 3:30 to refill the formula bag.  Peter, on the other hand, was restless most of the night.  He was already up at 3:30, and I heard the sounds of his iPad a few other times when I rolled over into slight consciousness.  Though he is in his own bed, where he has wanted to be, the fact of sleeping "tethered" is difficult.

I think he is beginning to switch out night and day.  As soon as I took him off of the feeding tube this morning he took a shower, got back into bed, and fell into a deep sleep.  Yesterday he slept a good part of the day, and he has "closed his eyes" again just now.  A nurse I spoke with was quite firm about not letting the nocturnal habit develop, and so I've created a "busyness" plan for today.   It includes activity here (like putting laundry away), his regular walks (the nurse said bump them up to 5 or 6 a day), and accompanying me to town for my dentist appointment, grocery shopping, and a couple of other errands.  

The loss of voice makes things more difficult, because when Peter is around someone, he naturally tries to talk (whisper) and the doctors are telling him to rest his voice.  Being around people is good for him.  Talking is not.

A friend sent us the bible story from Luke about Zechariah getting his voice back when he named his son (John, as in The Baptist).  I sure I hope I don't have to have a late-life pregnancy like Elizabeth for Peter to talk again!  Surely there is an easier way..

Oh, and I love JTB's dreadlocks.


1 comment:

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.