Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Recovery Day 7 - Two Steps Forward And...

...the inevitable one-step back.  OK, it felt more like two.  The "tube count" (as our dear friend Watty Bowes calls is) went up, and the prescription for future nutrition  called for an adjustment to what "going home" will look like.  But at least they're talking about going home. 

Peter told the social worker that the hospital was starting to make him sick.  Sleep is constantly interrupted, the bed and chair don't suit his back.  He has a window with a decent view, but faces away from it 100% of the time (rearranging the furniture isn't easy, but I am going to try).  Alarms go off continually, and then all the P&P. 

We've had a week of glorious weather, but Peter hasn't been beyond the triangle of these three hallways cluttered with medical machinery and populated with sickness. Today I went to his nurse and told him I wanted to spring Peter out of there.  I've seen patients in the courtyard with their IV poles and as many or more tubes as Peter has. 

One has to tend to the spirit as well as the body, and healing can come via warm sunshine and a gentle breeze.  So we've officially requested a "pass" to the great outdoors, but I fear it will come just when the rains do.  Well, we'll sit under a shelter if we have to, and go again when the sun is shining.

Family member Matt Dudek came to walk with Peter after work this evening.  We passed in the lobby, and I drove on home.  As I came up the driveway to the house I thought, "something's changed."  Then I sniffed the air and caught the scent of fresh cut grass!

Members of the Schley Grange Hall, organized by Katherine and Milton Cheek had come and done a bang-up job, mowing our huge yard and down the sides of the driveway, too.  It was almost dark (as you can see from the picture), but it looked heavenly, and I know that Peter will feel good when he sees the pictures I'll snap in the morning light.  THANK YOU!

 One other bit of farm news:  Some critter has been playing havoc with the bags and cans of grain in the feed room of the barn.  I borrowed a have-a-heart trap and have had it set with goodies, but locked open for the last two nights.  THIS is the night to spring it.  I've secured all of our cats, put fresh food in the trap, sprayed WD-40 on all the moving parts, and set it to catch the varmint.  I'll post a picture in the morning if I am successful.  Then I'll have to figure out what to do with the critter!  I don't suppose taking him to Duke would be a good idea...they do have gardens!

That's all for now.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! I hope the talk of going home makes up for the not so good part. Still praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.