Thursday, March 15, 2012

Recovery Day 2, Evening now

No one told us that days in the hospital were so very l-o-n-g.  Peter walked 13 laps today which they would say is almost 3/4 of a mile, but somehow I doubt that.  But never mind, it is 13 good laps, and Dr. D'Amico told us that walking is the best thing for recovery.  Today's laps were harder  because of pain.  They've upped his meds again a bit, and he is pretty comfortable now.

This is the wing where heart and lung transplant patients are cared for...so it is a petty intense place.  The windows of the hallway look down on the courtyard where Jessie, Amanda, and I waited on the warm day of the surgery. 


   

It is after 8 p.m. and we're waiting for the night nurse to check on a couple of concerns.  Things aren't as spot-on so far tonight.  I've checked out of the hotel that is just a 3 minute walk away.  I hope that wasn't a mistake.

As far as mistakes go, there have been four that I know of.  I'll list them below, but am editing what I wrote before to note that many, many more things have gone right:

The first was getting Peter out of bed too quickly the first morning after surgery.  The second was the member of the "Pain Team" who forgot to turn the pump back on after she adjusted the dose (he went 3 hours with no drugs into the epidural).  The third was the nurse who told him that yes he could put ice in his mouth.  I double-checked with the doctor and the reply was an emphatic "no."  The fourth was the respiratory therapist who almost gave him a "breathing treatment" that he didn't need.

I was here for those mistakes.  I don't know what I might have missed, but am having to realize that no one person can keep a complete watch. It takes everyone working together.  It is back to the "Leave the driving to us," scenario, except that here they change drivers every 12 hours.  So far we've only had one repeat.

Tonight's driver just came in...a new one who was reassuringly competent and answered our questions.  In a bit I'll venture home for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are able to get some rest Susan and that Peter is comfortable. Good luck on the second night.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.