Wednesday, March 14, 2012

RECOVERY, Day 1 - Goodnight

I hope that Peter is sleeping.  He only gets checked every 4 hours tonight, which is a lot less interruption.  But he's a lot less doped up, and was having a hard time getting comfortable for sleep.  He has to be pretty upright to prevent pneumonia, but that arches his lower back, so his nurse Tia and I experimented with an array of pillows in various arrangements.  He was dozing off as I left.

He walked a second time in the late afternoon and made five laps.  If their measurements are correct that's half a mile or better.  That's the length of our driveway.  I never thought anyone could walk that much on the day after major surgery.

His doctor had told us that if he comes up for rounds and hears that a patient is walking a lot, that's all he needs to know...meaning that walking is both the prognosis and the cure.  If a patient is walking they'll be OK.  Let's hope that's true.

I still need to list all of the amazing encounters from yesterday, but will try to find the time (and brain cells) to do that tomorrow.  I feel much better for having had good food today, and hope I'll sleep as well.  I've learned to get up early and get to the hospital while things are popping.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, prayers, vibes, and love.  You don't know how much it has meant.

Susan

2 comments:

  1. Susan- thank you for the posts! It's hard to be so far away, and the updates really help.
    Peter- I'm sending you much love and wishes that your speedy recovery continues speedily!
    love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I tried to call you tonight. It helps to read the blog to know how Peter is doing. This sounds so great! Like you, I cannot believe he is walking that far the day after surgery...amazing. I hope you have the head pillow I sent to Peter for Christmas...that was for the chemo chair, but it could also help with the sleeping in the chair, and would make a great back pillow for his lower back. I am so encouraged because you are! That is great news. Love to all! Hope to hear from you...I won't be out voting again until November! I hope you are getting all of my comments and emails.

    Love!!!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.