Tomorrow marks the 5-month surgery date. Here's an update of a few things:
1) Overall health is good, lab reports, e.g., cell blood counts, are all OK. Despite a good voice, a vocal cord is still paralyzed. When the collagen wears off, I can undergo a permanent procedure to move the cord over. There's a chance it may get better on its own or even stay the same, which would be OK. Still learning how to eat slower with smaller portions.
2) I took myself off the oral chemo drug about 1/2-way through the recommended 15 weeks- it was making me too lethargic and weak.
3) Exercise continues well. I tried cycling today- only went ten miles and struggled at times as stamina isn't what it should be yet. Still lifting Junior Division weights and swimming every day. The Sportsplex has required that I join a Remedial Treadmill Class, for people who slip off the back while it's moving.
4) Farm news- Cledus the Mule is terrific, getting friendlier all the time. He likes whole pears and chews like he's an Equine Juicer, i.e., when he chomps the pear, green juice runs down his mouth and nose like he's a juice faucet. Susan rode him the other day and he was a good boy.
5) A great choice of events on Saturday night, August 18-
A) At the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, "Healin' With A Feelin'- A Night Of Burnin' Love"; a benefit for the NC Jaycee Burn Unit at UNC-Hospitals. Organized by Kim and Stephanie Anderson to recognize Kim's successful recovery from burn injuries. The event raises money to buy sun-protective clothing and gear for discharged patients. A silent auction at 7 PM and four terrific music groups. See Susan's column in today's Chapel Hill Herald:
B) Red's Rhythm featuring the phabulous Stacey Curelop at The Depot in Hillsborough, 8:15 PM;
C) Dinner at the Schley Grange, 5-7 PM, corner of Highway 57 and Schley Rd., Northern Orange County.
6) Our good friend Holli Crawford gave another blood platelet donation at the Red Cross in Durham this weekend. Please contact me if you're curious about doing this and want to learn more.
7) Music- I've been branching out with different kinds of music. Here are a few photos of me with a mariachi band in Carrboro and with Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble last year: