Wednesday, April 4, 2012

RECOVERY - Week 4, Wednesday 04/04

I apologize to the regular readers for skipping a few days.  Peter thought he would write on Sunday, but didn't, and I kept thinking he would, so I didn't.  Monday was a downer, and I didn't feel like reporting anything.

I have managed to keep writing my newspaper column through this...here is Sunday's:  http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/18059738/article-Learning-to-say--yes--to-help

The days are passing in the step forward, step back routine, sometimes 2-1 and sometimes it feels like 1-2.  Mostly the former, though.  From the long view Peter is doing exceptionally well, but that doesn't make the day-to-day any easier.  The countdown to April 10th is getting shorter.  We're hoping for a tube removal (tube count down to 0), or at least with it being only supplemental.  They'll check his voice and do a swallow study that morning, followed by an appointment with the surgical team that afternoon.

The tube removal will mean Peter can swim again, which will signal real recovery for him.  They'd said that somewhere around 6 weeks you start to feel somewhat normal, and at 6-8 month you'll suddenly realize you're yourself again. 

Peter has been out to the Depot in Hillsborough twice, and for a quick trip to the mall once.  Visitors are welcome now, but do be prepared to do all the talking, and to discourage Peter from using his voice.  It came back for one sentence yesterday, then left again.  That little bit is encouraging.

On Saturday, Peter's birthday, a crew from the Schley Grange came to mow again. Kim Greer, Billy Latta, and Don Blake really put the place in great shape in short order.  

L to R - Kim Greer, Billy Latta, Don Blake

L to R - Billy Latta, Kim Greer, Don Blake

That morning Rodger Tygard stopped by with some home-grown corn from his freezer for me, and a piece of framed art for Peter.  I cooked the corn with some lima beans, and Peter had me freeze some for when he can eat.
Corn still frozen

      
Original art
Janet Stolp came out with an iPod touch (complete with music).  Mary Anne Handy sent balloons, and Peter got tons of other gifts, flowers, cards and calls.  Thanks to everyone.

I've been able to get outside more myself...have taken a couple of horseback riding lessons, been reconditioning some of the pastures, tilled a little, and yesterday I took my bike out for the first time this season in preparation for a May 20th Triathlon (my first).  It is a baby one (2, 10, 225), but plenty of challenge for me. 
Being out of the office, I am aware how much more I move here on the farm than I do at work.  There always seems to be something that needs doing!

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear the latest. Prayers for healing (and sanity) continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to have missed your birthday Peter! I've been filling in for you at the Red Cross with platelet donations. Go Susan! Is that 2k swim, 10k run and 225k bike? That sounds pretty tough to me! Hopefully it is "k" and not "miles"... -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peter. Hey Susan. It's Gary writing from Vancouver. I just had a really nice few days with Julia, Billy, and Michael up at Whistler Mountain. Amazing snow!!! Wonderful sun and deep blue skies. Billy and I are flying down to Denver with Julia this afternoon and will be there for a couple of days on business. Then back up to Vancouver for 2 days and then Whistler again. I return to Istanbul on Sunday.

    I know how you are feeling now. I don't mean phsically, just mentally. This is that tedious, uncomfortable, anxious period. You know that it will pass; you just can't abide by how long it's taking. You and Susan are very lucky to have each other. This experience gives new meaning to the term, "long-suffering". I just don't know who, between you, is suffering most these days.

    I just want to wish you good humor. I like those photos of dem good ol' boys on your porch. They look like they can help keep your spirits up. I just want you to know that the whole Lachman clan is behind you. All the best,
    Gary
    p.s. new yahoo address is gary.lachman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.