Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What goes down...
        Must go up!

Peter has gained 8 pounds!

[FROM SUSAN]

      If you've been reading here you've been reading about weight and food.  Peter lost about 50 lbs in the past 10 months, most of that intentionally.  But the last 20+ pounds fell off since August, and now we know why.  One of Peter's doctor's used the word "catabolic," in that cancer wants to break down muscle.  Well, we can't let that happen.

     Many of you have contributed great ideas to the "how to gain weight" question, and you might have read my rant (in a previous post below) with my dismay over how high-glycemic sugary (and expensive!) drinks are pushed.  Peter thinks (and it has crossed my mind) that I might have a future career making healthy weight-gain (and loss) drinks.  I'd have to codify my mad scientist efforts into something others can replicate...and with ingredients that are affordable.  But so far this has been fun.

     For now the efforts are paying off, and we're both getting the hang of the new routines that are involved...a lot more kitchen time for me, and a lot more table time for Peter.  The new prescription (from the doctors) is 64 ounces of water a day.

     Dry run for radiation on Monday, then the real thing from Tuesday on.  We have to nudge the oncologists tomorrow to be sure that chemo gets scheduled for next week as well.

     Thank you all again for your excellent ideas.  I love how this site is pulling so many worlds together---work, music,horses,Arkansas, New York, the Schley Grange, spinners, family, old friends and new, people near and far.

--Susan




7 comments:

  1. So glad Peter is gaining weight. Maybe I missed something but are you making all liquids because it hurts to swallow? It is a challenge to keep those liquids interesting but sounds like u r doing just that...
    We,ll be thinking of you this weekend and next week when all the procedures start happening...oxox Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, Peter, this is the comment, sort of, that I tried to make earlier but was prevented from doing because of my technological inadequacies. I wanted to tell you how pleased I was to hear about your weight gain and also how good it is to know that you are paying attention to important stuff like hospital music. keep up the good work! also, you should know that the other week, when surgeons at duke were doing a series of paired kidney donations, they had on queen and led zeppelin in the operating room.
    take care,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just pulled up the Bootsie Collins you tube... Awesome ! First time I saw Bootsie was on 'standing in the shadows' DVD about the Funk Brothers who played all the music behind Motown artists...great documentary and Bootsie is great along with Joan Osbourne... Anyway thx for sharing this...your music knowledge is pretty amazing oxox Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us kniw if there is anything we can do to make next week easier for both of you. Am jealous of your weight gain Peter! I bought a gallon of Aidens ice cream today, lets see what that does for me.. Will share. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to see you both last night at the Annual CF Going Away Party! Thanks for reminding me that "Into the Purple Valley" is my all time favorite album by my all time favorite artist, Ry Cooder. Rhonda and I will be thinking of you on Tuesday. - Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee! Up, up and away!
    -Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.