Monday, December 5, 2011

[FROM PETER]
Because Susan asked me to, and because I'm curious about doing it, I'll occasionally write about experiences over the next few months. Though I've written frequently about friends (musicians, writers, community volunteers, et. al.), for area publications, I'm self-conscious about a more personal account, especially about an illness like cancer, but it may be fun.

I've never been on Facebook or Twitter and have never even sent a text message. This is partly because I've never felt the urge and partly because I'm not the brightest bulb in the IT chandelier. For a high school reunion a few years ago, I was on Classmates for about 5 days but felt so irritated with the constant messages that I asked them to get me off it. The site reminded me that I had signed a contract to stay on it, and when my efforts of sending mail to spam were unsuccessful, I threatened to contact the N.C. Attorney General's office. This ultimately worked. Earlier this year, I was informed that a class action suit against Classmates was successful and I was entitled to a ten cent reward.

I've been trying to swim or bike every day. Yesterday I was driving towards town and the pool at the Triangle Sportsplex. Feeling listless but trying my best to exercise for at least a few minutes, a song came on the radio that changed my mood for the better. It was "Hickory Hollow", a banjo/mandolin instrumental from the The Dillards first album ca. 1963. I can't explain it, but the joyiful tune, similar to that of the old standby "Cripple Creek", just made me smile and gain strength. The Dillards acted as the "Darling Family" on 4-5 Andy Griffith Shows in the early to mid-60's; check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFwgzOxs0yM&feature=related. The Andy Griffith Show and music lyrics will be frequently cited on this blog.

Last night there was a practice of Red's Rhythm, a band I'm in with Stacey Curelop, Frank Hunter, Wayne Watkins, and Roger Jones. Stacey brought a Lady Gaga song for us to learn- I forget the name- and though we all agreed that Ms. Gaga is pretty weird, we liked the song. At the end there's a chord progression that sounds exactly like that of "Can't You See" by the Marshall Tucker Band (ca. 1973) and "Hey, Jude", so we worked those into our arrangement as well. When we weren't laughing, we thought it sounded not bad.

I'm waiting on 2 radiology scans (this week?) to be scheduled before I can start the radiation/chemo treatments. Everyone's expressions of love and support have been wonderful. Susan and our daughters Amanda and Jessie are blessed by your generosity and friendship.- Love, Peter K


4 comments:

  1. Sending lots of love vibes your way.... What a journey you all are beginning and we'll all be here with you ...know music will keep you centered, Peter ... Or at least singing along oxox Ann Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard not to smile when there's good bluegrass like that playing! Loved the link to the Andy Griffith Show. I had forgotten that they were the "Darling Family." Can't wait to hear RR doing Lady Gaga. Sounds like a riot.

    Thanks to you and Susan for getting this blog going. See you soon out at the farm.

    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter, I just had to post a comment because I want to make sure you know that your friends are reading your posts and they mean so much to us (me). Keep 'em coming. Love, Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello All, years back, they tried to figure out if I had only one kidney (true) and at the time, the exploratory surgery was too disquieting to mention - so at about 13 years of age, I'm in the hospital and running a fever from sheer anxiety (hoping this will postpone the event, as well). They slip me a mickey; and as I'm radiating good vibes, I look up at the TV and Flatt & Scruggs have just walked on screen (of course this is The Beverly Hillbillies) and that great old vaudevillian, Buddy Epsen is flatfooting to their music! Made an impression on me which I'm sure changed the course of my life and directed me to oldtime music. That's what music is for (IMHO). Thanks for the remeberences of the Dillards, Peter.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.