Tuesday, December 6, 2011

[FROM PETER]


Hey to all-  


I'm scheduled for a cardio-thoracic (I keep wanting to spell it "thorassic", like "Jurassic") MRI next week. After that and one more scanI hope that radiation/chemo can begin.

Susan's helping me keep my weight up. I'm currently at 190 ibs., or what the body-mass index calls a mid-normal weight for my height. But I've also lost way too much in the past three months. Any advice on gaining weight?

Tonight I'd like to keep it light with some fun old band photos featuring my friend Roger Jones. I wrote a newspaper story last year about Roger's work at Freedom House Recovery Center (
http://www.heraldsun.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Freedom+House+a+center+for+music-+too%20&id=9610856)



Here's a recent photo of Red's Rhythm- PK, Roger, Stacey Curelop, Frank Hunter, and Wayne Watkins:







A
photo of Roger's band "The Readings" from 1965 (I can't tell which is Roger, who was 13 at the time):









And Roger, on the right (above), with "Manifest Destiny" in 1968:


At our last gig, a whole table of women kept yelling "We love you, Roger!" Easy to see why....Love to all- PK




4 comments:

  1. I might have some suggestions on gaining weight! Any dietary guidelines to follow, ie dairy-free, organic, wheat-free, no-preservatives, soy-free, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those photos.

    As for weight ... I am not a nutritionist, but I did help cook and care for my grand-dad who had trouble keeping pounds on. We were advised to have him to drink more calories. He hated Ensure, but other smoothies, shakes, juices were acceptable. Cranky old fart.

    He swapped skim milk for cream or chocolate milk in his coffee, too. In addition to the drinks, he ate nuts or nut butters, avocados, Greek yogurt, sour cream and fruit as snacks between meals. Yogurt or chocolate covered nuts or fruit were a favorite, too.

    We'd try to sneak in extra fats and oils while cooking. Cream in soups instead of simple broths, cheese sauces or a pat of butter on vegetables, or olive oil beaten into scrambled eggs. Believe it or not, the eggs don't get greasy-- just fluffy and rich. We'd also garnish all his meals with a little something extra... cheese, butter, croutons, etc. And as for low-cal vegetables... don't give them up, just dress them up.

    I'm sure you could also park at a Wendy's Drive Thru and gain weight, or eat an entire bag of Oreos for dinner every night... but I think one tends to feel better when they eat a variety of healthful foods. After all... the point is not just to cram in the calories, but to get lots of quality, Happy Calories through dishes that you enjoy.

    And my last 2 cents--- I think gentle swimming is a great way to balance... but, as a former swim instructor, I might be a little biased. ;)

    I hope this inspires a bit. Keep on keeping on. Thinking of you often, sending love and light, and am thankful to be able to check in on you and the family through this here blog.

    <3
    Emily (and Evan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. peter,
    you look good in pink! goes well with your hair!

    as a well trained physician, i would say the best way to gain weight is to eat!

    just kidding...i have a sort of therapeutic cookbook that i will look thru and see if there are any palatable recipes that might interest you.

    what type of food do you like? what type of food do you feel like eating?

    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the mention of avocados! Nutritious, high calorie, and easy to blend into other things. I've recently seen them crop up in puddings, pies, and smoothie recipes. Being on the intern budget, however, we don't purchase enough of them to do much experimenting :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.