Sunday, December 18, 2011

Blood and Bluegrass

BLOOD AND BLUEGRASS

[BY PETER]
Radiation and chemo start this week. I'm curious as to how they'll make me feel, as most of the time I'm more than OK, e.g., was able to go cycling with daughter Amanda and split wood this weekend. It's weird to be fit and healthy on the one hand, and have a serious illness on the other.

A downside of cancer is I'm not able to donate blood or platelets while in treatment and some time after (at least a year after treatment?). I've been a platelet donor at the Red Cross on University Drive in Durham for the past 16 years - it's the most consistently satisfying thing I've done. 



Giving platelets is a little different from giving whole blood, which involves taking blood from one arm. With platelets, a needle goes in the intake arm, sends blood through a tube to a centrifugal machine which spins and isolates platelets, then returns the blood minus the platelets to the other arm or hand. Platelets are the blood's clotting factor and are used by leukemia patients, those undergoing chemo, et. al. It's ironic to think that at some point I may be a platelet recipient, no longer a donor.

If you've never given blood or platelets, are healthy and eligible, and are curious about it, please consider contacting the Red Cross (to schedule a platelet appointment, call 1-800-667-5086). I can hardly think of a more worthwhile  and easy thing to do that will have as much impact on another person. 


On several occasions, friends have accompanied me to the Durham center where we've made a "party" out of donating. For example, last April Jay Cunningham, Lew Wardell, Jennifer Evans, Jay Miller, Geoff Hathaway, John Bemis, Sherman Newman, and Susan G. gave blood or platelets the same morning. Another friend Dan Way, then-Editor of the Chapel Hill Herald, wrote an entertaining and inspiring account of his experiences as a first-time platelet donor.

 
 Thanks for thinking about this.

Today's video clip, ca. 1960, is Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt and the Foggy Mountain Boys singing "I'm On My Way To Canaan's Land." Many people know that North Carolina's Earl Scruggs was and is a great banjo player, but here he excels on gospel guitar. From right to left in the video, that's Earl Scruggs, fiddler Paul Warren, guitarist Lester Flatt  on lead vocal, bassist Jake Tullock, and mandolinist Curly Seckler. Josh Graves, who usually plays Dobro, is probably playing the bass:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nWzYfSKFLE&feature=related

 
In 1973, when I was relatively new to bluegrass, I happened to be in Nashville and on the Vanderbilt U. campus for a free concert. It was a great lineup- Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, The Country Gentlemen (with 19 year old Ricky Scaggs on fiddle), and Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass (with 14 year old Marty Stuart on mandolin). At one point I walked up to fiddler Paul Warren and said,"Excuse me, are you Lester Flatt?" He politely pointed out Lester Flatt to me, then graciously took a photo of Lester and me. I still have the photo, but will show it only if asked. Lester looked good, me not so much (big hair).

When Susan and I were "dating" in 1980 (quaint word), she invited me to go to Raleigh to see The Earl Scruggs Revue. Lester had split from Lester Flatt about ten years before and was playing progressive bluegrass with his three sons and fiddler Vassar Clements. Some time after that Susan invited me to a Doc Watson show. When Susan subsequently demonstrated that she could load and fire up a wood stove, I had to tell myself, "Hmmm, this relationship could get serious."

Love to all- Peter K

7 comments:

  1. I'll be back at the Red Cross in Durham on January 6th to do another Platelet donation. I'll be thinking of the party we had this spring. You really do feel like you're doing something worthwhile and helping others. There aren't too many opportunities to do that and have such an impact on another person's health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I just want you to know that it was you that started me on donating platelets. i will be doing it on 12/29/2011. This will be my 3rd visit.

    Geoff Hathaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter and Susan, Found the site! Thanks for all the info. I'll be following closely. Big hug, Diane BL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter and Susan, I've found you and will be following every word!
    In bocca al lupo - all the best wishes for a great healing.
    Big hug, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, good luck tomorrow as you begin your procedures. I'll be at UNC hospital & working on my own therapy, so you'll be on my mind. Hang tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never given blood or platelets before...always been a little scared. But I'm going to donate platelets because of you, Peter! -- Holli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holli- This made my day- thank you so much. Please let us all know how it goes and say hi to the good folks at the Red Coss- Peter K

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.