Tuesday, December 20, 2011

STAND!

[FROM PETER]

Today was the first actual day of treatment, i.e., radiation.

Before going for my 4 PM appointment, I stopped in to see Bret and Janet Stolp at their home nearby. Both have worked at Duke Medical Center for years, Janet as a nurse and Bret as an anesthesiologist. Bret was totally responsible for getting in touch with Dr. D'Amico, the Chief of Thoracic Surgery, who quickly set up appointments and consults for me with radiation, oncology (chemo), and surgery personnel. Janet and Bret are upbeat, energetic, and solid friends.

Jessie accompanied me to the Radiation clinic. I was seen immediately and finished by 4:15. The procedure involves lying still and flat while large camera-type arms rotate over and around you. I didn't feel a thing, and have been told I won't really experience side-effects, e.g., sore, sensitive throat, until a few weeks from now. The schedule from here on out is 5 and 1/2 weeks, 5 days/week of radiation and 1 day/week of chemo over that period. The latter starts in two days. 
 

Though uneventful, today's beginning reinforced the seriousness of what's to come. One of the songs I most turn to for inspiration and energy is "Stand!" by Sly and the Family Stone, whom I saw in 1970. For those interested, the song is in the key of A. On the last chorus, instead of singing the word "stand" for the third time, the song ends in a funk jam with a D flat chord. Here's a live version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yEO8nfqxE.


In his 1991book Anatomy Of An Illness, writer/editor Norman Cousins tells of how he worked with his doctor to use humor as an effective healing mechanism. By watching some of his favorite funny movies, particularly the Marx Brothers, he produced physiological, positive results that helped him to heal. 


Barney Fife and Otis Campbell (actors Don Knotts and Hal Smith) of The Andy Griffith Show are high on my list, e.g., in this scene where Barney tries to rehabilitate Otis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9TunUh_bw. 

What movies or scenes would you choose?!

- Love to all- Peter K

5 comments:

  1. some of my favorites? Not that I'm especially proud of it, but my list would have to include early Woody Allen, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, His Gal Friday, and many many scenes of West Wing!
    -Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel Brooks always does it for me. Also, we own all the seasons of Northern Exposure (remember that show from the early 90s?). They never fail to elevate my spirits. As does some Sly...nice choice! ~ John

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mockumentaries by Christopher Guest always crack me up - First in Show and A Mighty Wind especially, Spinal Tap and For Your Consideration are also right up there.

    I adore O Brother Where Art Thou by the Cohen Brothers! Brilliant piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I can't recommend comedies, because for me it's always the tear jerkers that get me in touch with my more introspective self, and provide emotional catharsis, which seems to help. Special consideration to films that combine an uplifting theme with the jerking of tears. For Classic Oldies think James Dean's films, "Ol' Yeller", many of Tyrone Power's flix,"Bang the Drum Slowly", "Grapes of Wrath", "T.K.a. Mockingbird", "Days of Wine & Roses", "Dark Victory", etc.
    More current films, "Five Easy Pieces", "Cuckoo's Nest", "Sometimes a Great Notion", "Gallipolli",
    "Saving Private Ryan","Midnight Cowboy", "Schindler's List", "The Pianist", "Titanic", "Million Dollar Baby", and so forth. Note that some of the really great ones, even on this list, have their hilarious scenes, as well, so you get 2 catharses for one.
    Think Nicholson trying to order toast in the diner, then later ditching Karen Black at the gas station when she goes for coffee. That helps make the medicine go down for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, you amaze me with your spirit, you ability and willingness to share this experience with all of us. Your wonderful attitude will see you through this. I have enjoyed your "escapades", stories; always with your love of music shining through. I owe you another verse of "The Battle of Peter Kramer." Susan suggested I come to sing it for you, but hey, I don't want to take a chance on ruining your appetite! Just remember you are my BIL and I love you! Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.