Thursday, January 30, 2014

Peter, Sharon, and Solita

Whew.

First off to say that Peter is settling into his routine in Philadelphia and is doing quite well.  He seems to have recovered from the pneumonia, and is walking the mile (each way) to the hospital and back, so his noon appointments take up a good chunk of the middle of the day.  He is eating well and sleeping well, and actually appreciates the fleece-lined jeans I sent him for the colder days.  "They fit," he said, "and they keep me warm.  Who knew?"

Many thanks to Joel Steiker for his exquisite care and cooking this week.  

On other fronts my sister is in the hospital in Little Rock for cat-bite induced cellulitis.  The bite was from her own cat (long story), so no worries about rabies.  But the oral antibiotics weren't working, so she's getting the routine for cellulitis that Peter got last week for pneumonia.  Her husband, Gates, was admitted for a few days with bronchitis the week before that, which leaves me to wonder if I am next.  I am doing a lot of clearing out here at home, and climbing up to clean things and change light bulbs, so you can bet I am being VERY careful.

This morning I got word that my very dear friend, Solita Denard, was in a very bad weather-related car wreck yesterday and is in the Duke ICU with serious head injuries. 

Icy Auto Accident

I spent much of today tracking down information, and tonight got some very promising news.  I hope to meet up with her mother tomorrow and perhaps get to see Solita.  She and I worked together for many years, and everyone who knows her knows how special she is.  Lots of prayers and good vibes going up tonight for Solita


.

Peter hopes to get to New York next weekend (8th-9th) to see his mom, and most likely I'll go up that next week or weekend to be with him for his final run and drive him back home.  Tomorrow he will have completed 1/4 of his treatments.  That's amazing.

If you had come to the door of our house today I would have locked the door and hidden.  That's because I am clearing out cabinets, and all of the "stuff" is strewn out around the living room as I sort it out and (mostly) bag it for the trash or Thrift Shop.  It looks a little more orderly now, but that is just an illusion.  I hope, by the end of the weekend, to have a truckload hauled off.  It feels really good to do this.

That's about it from here.

Susan

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you both during this trying time. I'm so glad you are posting these updates so we can follow Peter's progress. Be careful, Susan, climbing into all that "stuff." Julie Laws

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I've known you for some time now, many enjoyable and informative lunches with you at the Hillsborough Luigis' Mens Lunch Social Club. I've always enjoyed your music with the Flash Backs, Green River, the two Elvis bands and your present group. I have often referred to you as the Don Kershner of Hillsborough. I've always found you to be a very good person, friend and now tough as I have known . God bless you, Susan and your family. I want to take this opportunity to say that it is a pleasure knowing you, your friendship and music have enriched my life and I wish you and your family only the best. Jeff Nidle arabella@esinc.net

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.