Sunday, January 26, 2014

On to Philadelphia

[BY SUSAN]
By the time you read this Peter will have had dinner with 10 family members including his beloved uncle and aunt, David and Shirley (parents of the Lori and Janet who are helping to take care of Peter).

David is Peter's mother's brother, and before I met him I had been so warned about his sense of humor that in the photo of our meeting--at our wedding in 1981-- my face registers a very clear "I have no idea what he might do" expression.  I don't recall that he did anything (probably took pity on a Southern girl) but over the years he has made me laugh harder than most anyone except Peter.


You can see the wonderful Shirley off to the right of the picture (she had no idea what he might do, either), and Peter's mother behind David.  That's cousin Nadine in the background-and I think Janet is behind me.

Peter has had a wonderful time with Marty and Scott and was very well cared for.  And though he did tire out some (to be expected after pneumonia) he ate and rested well and I think he'll be landing in Philadelphia ready to start treatment tomorrow.  Scott drove him over from his home in Newark, DE.

Here on the farm I am SO grateful for a slight break in the weather.  Yesterday's high winds were harder for me than the previous days' low temperatures.  I couldn't keep the house warm and working outside in the "Farmstead" building was a bit like working in a wind tunnel.  I did what I had to do and gave up on being very productive yesterday.

About 3 weeks ago I went to a "Mindful Yoga" class and wrote my column about it...so sure was I that this was one place I need to be ever week.  But circumstances prevented me from going back until today.  My dear friend Gayle Dauverd went with me, and though the room was packed, I really appreciated being led through the experience by teacher Amy Gorely.  It definitely made the day go well (along with Gayle's presence).

And then, icing on the cake, daughter Amanda came out and spent almost two hours helping me shovel manure (the verb is "muck) from the small paddock behind our horse barn.  Amanda does Cross-Fit and is as strong as an ox, and having ridden through her youth, she is an experienced "mucker."  It was fun to shovel alongside her and chat.

So many of you have offered help with things and we promise that we'll call you if we need something.  Right now I am enjoying the physicality of taking care of all the animals and bringing wood into the house.  There aren't many people I'd invite to shovel manure with me, but Holli Crawford, you're on that list!  And, Amanda, thank you.  Getting the paddock cleaned out feels really great.  It is odd what can start to matter in times like this.

Peter starts treatments tomorrow at noon.  Cousin Janet is going along for the first one.  It will take longer for him to get set up for the treatment than for them to actually do it...the entire procedure being less than 30 minutes a day.  I think that the noon schedule is perfect...allowing for a leisurely morning and then not too much day left to fill with exercise, exploration, and rest. 

Beyond that, almost everything is unknown.  Will keep you posted and I hope that Peter will start writing soon...bringing Philadelphia music history and song lyrics right to your computer screen.

Thanks everyone!
Susan






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update and for giving me the date the treatment starts. I changed the date on my "Peter's Blog Schedule" and realized that as dramatic and crazy as everything went, with the pneumonia and all, Peter is only eight days behind the original schedule! What a blessing that is!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.