Monday, January 27, 2014

Let the Snow Fall

First off, here's a link to the Proton Beam Therapy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

UPenn Proton Beam Therapy

Second, here's the news from North Carolina:

 Winter Storm Warning for North Carolina

Snow I can handle. I've got my plan to stock up on things in the morning, and then hunker down for a lovely afternoon/evening and another "snow day" on Wednesday.  The frigid temperatures following the snow are what makes it hard to care for the animals, but it looks like they won't be around too long.  I've got my systems established, so will be fine.  Already got the woodbox full.  The dog walked right in front of the downhill wood cart again tonight.  It IS like a computer game (see earlier post).

I was a little worried when freezing rain was in the forecast, because as of now, "I don't do chain saws."  I have a couple of dandy little folding saws and I LOVE to clear brush with them.  But remembering the big ice storm of 2003 (I think); it took all day to clear the driveway -- with Peter on the chain saw and Amanda and me hauling logs, limbs, and brush (heavy with ice).  I think I'll check in with the neighbors to come up with a plan just-in-case.  And I guess it is time for me to put the blade on the tractor.

Peter had a long first day of treatment today, in part because he saw Dr. Metz, which he had not expected.  Cousin Janet stayed for the long haul, and got him there and back home.  Tomorrow he tackles the trip alone.  I took cousin Lori's map and translated it into the kind of directions Peter prefers..."walk out the front door to the sidewalk and turn left.  Walk to the corner (48th Street) and turn left again..."

Once he gets his routines established I think there will be a period of "ordinary" for both of us.  I am learning what it feels like to not be working off the farm, as I have done since 2005.  Peter is adjusting to city life, and this will be the second time we've ever been apart for this length of time, the other being when he volunteered in Mississippi following Hurricane Katrina.

With Peter away, here are my main companions - Shady and Piper: 
Remember, if you want to write to Peter, it is c/o Ginzberg/Steiker, 4813 Beaumont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA   19143.


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading Peter's input today. Can't wait for the bell ringing. Maybe someone can make a smart phone video of the event.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.