Friday, January 24, 2014

Landed!

[FROM SUSAN]

Peter has landed at BWI and was picked up by his college buddy Marty Ellin to join two other old friends, Scott Loveless and Jeff Johnson at Scott and Laurie's river house in MD.  They should be there by now...so let the fun begin. 

Everyone in the family campaigned for Peter to have a wheelchair at the airport, but he would have none of that and, in fact, on Wednesday started doing a few chores around here.  I could see him getting stronger by the day - almost by the hour.

Yesterday he got some help from Geoff Hathaway to bring a big bunch of firewood to the house, but the rest he managed on his own and when I fussed he let me know that doing those things made him feel better.  Well, I can understand that.  I like to do things on my own, too.

A couple of you have asked about writing Peter, so here's the address:

Peter Kramer
c/o Ginzberg-Steiker
4813 Beaumont Ave.
Philadelphia, Pa. 19143

After dropping him at the airport this a.m. (he wouldn't let me come in with him, either)  I went to run a few errands in Hillsborough and had a series of small mis-haps that made me think I should lay really low today. 

They weren't much:  Two were cars that pulled in front of me or zipped behind too close for comfort.  At Weaver Street I set my ceramic mug down and proceeded to knock it off (and break it) when I opened the door to the breads.  Then I stopped on our driveway to take a picture of the tree stump that looks like angel wings, and I tripped on a vine on the way back to the car. Did the splat, but am fine.



On the good news side, all of my misplaced items have returned to me:  my ipod, the key to the PO box, and the items I cleared from the front hutch yesterday.  I've learned that I just have to wait patiently. 

I got the woodstove going again, did my computer routine, and am about to take a hot bath and just knit until time to don the woolies and go back outside for chores.

This morning, early, I felt quite toasty breaking the ice and throwing hay, then got chilled just going to the car for the airport run.  I realized that the difference was in having my Carhart overalls protecting my legs.  Somewhere I have a pair of jeans with flannel lining.  I am going to find mine and also order a pair for Peter...up north!  They're not something we need very often down here.

Thanks again, everyone.  Will keep you posted and at some point Peter will write too. 

SG




1 comment:

  1. Well, all of this gave me a sigh of relief! I knew you didn't want calls, so I was looking for news that Peter was on his way! What date/day do the treatments start? I am taking it that he will be in Maryland for the weekend with Marty and friends? I love Peter's friends and have known some of them since your wedding! Wow! I suppose as long as I have known Peter . Take care (the tree stump did look like angel wings, and a bit like the ten commandments!). I wonder if Peter is reading my comments on his blog or if I need to do emails to him? Just need to know...Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.