Sunday, February 15, 2015

Peter Kramer Day at the American Red Cross

Thanks to Holli Crawford Patillo for the idea to have a "Peter Kramer Day" at the American Red Cross, where Peter was a regular platelet donor until his disease made him ineligible.  He kept count of how many times he'd given, and I am sorry I don't have that number. 

Peter also worked hard to recruit platelet donors.  I'd like to think he's still at it through Holli's effort.  If you're ever so inclined, when you call the American Red Cross in Durham, tell them Peter Kramer sent you.  They'll believe you.  

Thanks to all who signed up and all who came--both to donate and to offer support...that would be (and please let me know if I missed someone) -- Holli, Jay Cunningham, Joy Javits, Rick Keena, Donna Campbell, Leon Patillo, Geoff Hathaway, Stacey Curelop, and Gordon Neville.  Lots of regular donors at the Red Cross showed up, too.  I am sorry I don't have all their names.

But the staff did SUCH a great job!  Take a look:


Art by Kayla Honeycutt


Food  was donated by Janice Welch, Diana Hicks, Rosie Todorova. Stacey Curelop and Mary Spradlin.  I wish I had a picture of the spread!

Here are a couple other pictures.  Obviously I wasn't up taking them!

Susan, Geoff Hathaway, Leon Patillo, and Holli Crawford Patillo

Gordon Neville (donor) and Mary Spradlin (right).  I am sad I don't remember the names of the other two...both had recruited with Peter and both donated in his memory.
Staff who worked that day were:  Stefana Angelova, Kayla Honeycutt, Nicole Baker,Janice Welch, Arthur Roland, Heather Welliver, Diana Hicks, and Mary.

Recruitment Staff who reached out to and assisted the donors in scheduling an appointment were Michael Williams, Barry McKillop, and Erica Potts.

The butterfly art piece was made by Kayla Honeycutt.

Finally, here is a photo of Peter himself donating some years ago.  He wrote the story, and the Red Cross had it framed for him.



REMEMBER!  PeterFest is scheduled for April 18, 2015, starting at 1:00 p.m.  
Details to follow as they unfold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.