Monday, February 23, 2015

"But since it fell unto my lot...That I should rise and you should not" --A Peter-full Weekend

Though 10 weeks have passed, most days I hit a place where I am shocked to remember that Peter is gone.  The days since December 7th seem like no-time and yet forever.  

But some days, like this past Saturday and Sundaymake it feel like Peter isn't very far away at all.

The first event of the weekend was on Saturday - the ninth Murphey School Radio Show.  Peter was a big part of this group from the very beginning, serving as an incredible publicist, but also playing guitar and harmonica and performing in a variety of ways.  His last show was November 8th, at the beginning of his rapid health decline.  He had a horrific coughing spell right before he left for the first of two shows that Saturday and I didn't think he'd make it through.  I went early for the second show to check on him.


In the "Green Room" between shows at the November 2014 Murphey School Radio Show

He had made it through the first show and was resting for the second.  He was in good spirits, and then played what I think was his best harmonica solo ever.  He just gave it is all with Jennifer Evans.


November 2014 Murphey School Radio Show


At this past Saturday night's show they gave a beautiful tribute to Peter that was both heartfelt and funny, as Peter would have wanted it to be.  Georgeanne Eubanks remarked on Peter's persistence, and said that he'd reminded her that there was only one letter's difference between "Peter" and "Pester."

Then the 7-woman acapella group Stella sang a beautiful rendition of "Parting Glass."  Here is the song graciously shared by Donna Campbell and Stella. I will also put the lyrics at the end of this post.


 
Below you will hear Georgeanne Eubanks give her dedication to Peter, and then our old friend Alice Gerrard performed "Goodbyes" with Laurelyn Dossett on harmonies:



The link below is a version that Alice did with Phil Cook, who recorded her Emmy-nominated album here at Down Yonder Farm.


 "Goodbyes" Alice Gerrard and Phil Cook


In some after-the-show email correspondence, Kevin Ginsberg, not knowing that Peter loved anagrams (and worked them out in his head constantly), sent several possible anagrams of Peter's name, my favorite of which was "Mr. Art Keeper."  I think that is what the Down Yonder Fund for the Arts will have as its goal.

It was a joyful night and a sad one, as so much of life is mixed like that these days.  I thank everyone from the MSRS for all that they have done for Peter and for me.  If you don't know about this show, visit murpheyschoolradio.net. 
Moving right along...
===============================

Jessie, Amanda, Levin, and I met for lunch on Sunday to start planning what is being called "PeterFest." This event will be composed of a Memorial Service and, immediately following, a Musical Celebration that was largely planned by Peter.  More information will follow, but the date is April 18th and the start time is 1:00 p.m.  Please help us share this with anyone who knew Peter.

I left our gathering in Durham to drive to Hillsborough for the 25th Anniversary of the Pauli Murray Awards, given by the Orange County Human Relations Commission--in the building where Peter worked as a counselor for so many years.

Peter was the 2001 recipient of the Pauli Murray Award, and this was, undoubtedly, one of the things he was most proud of.  

I remember that day well because of what Peter said in his acceptance speech.  He claimed that he'd "won the lottery" when I agreed to marry him.  I was so surprised by that statement, but later he said (jokingly) that it was just a ploy to meet women --because they are always attracted to men who love their wives. Typical Peter, but I never forgot that he said that.

Peter would want us all to be thinking about good nominees for the award in the future, so here's the link if you know someone fitting. 

Pauli Murray Award Nomination Form

I am always amazed when people cry with me.  That happened after the MSRS when a number of us had tears falling.  But it happened also at the Pauli Murray event when I ran into someone that we both knew, but not that well.  She didn't recognize me at first with my short hair, but when I said my name tears welled quickly in her eyes, and then in mine.  Some people are just so tender.  I still fight tears, but I am learning to let them come.

The final event of the weekend was to go see "Motown" with friends Joe and Geri Coates.  The task of the evening, for all of us, was to figure out if Peter would have liked the show or not.  I'd love to hear his music friends chime in on this, as I still don't know.  What I DO know is that if Peter had been sitting there beside me in the theater he'd have been whispering to me non-stop....elaborating more fully on who someone was or what other things happened that the show did not portray, and he'd have no doubt discovered mistakes from his rolodex memory of musical factoids.  I think he'd have been blown away by the theatrical aspects of the show...so fast-paced, and so much music and story from a relatively small cast. And this was their second show of the night!

Well, as promised, this long post DID end and here are the lyrics to "Parting Glass."  I'll get the words to "Goodbyes" up asap.  Check back soon.



THE PARTING GLASS

"The Parting Glass"
Of all the money that e'er I had
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

GOOD NIGHT AND JOY BE WITH YOU ALL
Susan









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.