Monday, February 27, 2012

VACATION

[FROM SUSAN]
     Someone posted a note on Facebook about how to delete your browsing history before Google changes their policy and makes our history their property.  I giggled a little when, while browsing sites for knitting yarn and patterns, Google sent me ads for where to buy a skid steer…otherwise known as a Bobcat.  Yes, I’d been browsing those last week, but hadn’t planned to knit while driving one.
     Peter and I are in Black Mountain, NC.  Before he retired he used to say from time to time that he wanted to go to the mountains.  So last summer I bought this Living Social deal, and then got busy, and then he got sick, and so it took a while to get here.  We’re in a big old creaky house that used to be a stage coach inn.  The room is a bit too small, but there are a few sitting areas, and trains go by several times a day.  There are even ponies in the back yard.
     We started the day with a massage for me and a Reiki session for Peter.  I’ve never been much of a massage fan, but this one was nice and I think my body is happy for it.  Peter has been doing Reiki with Toni Stevens and appreciates the relaxation it brings him.
     I’ve always wanted to spend more time in Black Mountain, and so was happy to wander all over today.  We had time for Asheville too.  Peter bought two large metal decorative items for outbuildings (we have plans for a garden), and I bought some knitting yarn and patterns and a new outfit.  It was good to get away.
     We’ll get home later on Tuesday, work on Wednesday (me) and then be back at Duke Clinics early Thursday for the follow-up diagnostics…a PET/CT scan that will take a look inside Peter’s esophagus and tell us the status of “the little bastard.”  We both get nervous when we think about that day.  I remember how it felt to sit in that little room and wait for someone to come tell us about the first PET/CT scan.  That news was good (no metastases).  We’re hoping for the same this time.
     From there we should know about plans for surgery.  Peter is still feeling pretty good, though his appetite isn’t what it used to be.  He’s gained a few pounds and hopes to pack on some more before surgery.
     Next week Tricia Lindley arrives to take my place at the Johnson Intern Program for a few months.  It will be odd to step away after seven years, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to give my full attention to Peter and our family at this time.  I add my workplace and Tricia to the long list of things for which Peter and I are immensely grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Continuing to hold you both in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that you all had this vacay in the mountains!
    prayers for thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.