Monday, February 20, 2012

GETTING BETTER

[BY PETER]
A day or two after Susan wrote her last entry, I started to feel much better. Although doctors had said I could expect to improve 1-2 weeks after the last of 30 radiation and 5 chemo sessions (1/31/12), it had been discouraging to Susan and me that the uncomfortable side effects continued as strongly as Susan described them. 

But the last week has been terrific- normal appetite, no weakness or vomiting, regular daily exercise. I weigh 185, about 60 lbs. lighter than a year ago. But a lot of that weight was excessive and needed to be lost. Although I look really thin, my BMI (body mass index) number is 23 or within the "normal" range for my height of 6'3''.  A wieght of 200 lbs. is considered to be "overweight." Still, doctors would like me to gain some if surgery is to follow.

A PET scan is scheduled for March 1st to see if the initial treatments have shrunk or contained the tumor. If so, surgery will likely follow early in April. If not, on to Plan B (?).

Susan's and my wish for our dear friends and family- please take good care of yourselves! Be healthy and well for yourselves and loved ones.- PK

5 comments:

  1. It's SO good to hear you're feeling better. It was also good to talk with you yesterday. Sending much love to all - Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, this is really good news, and must come as a great relief to you and to Susan. And just think -- now you can call yourself svelte!

    Keep up the good work.

    --neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, this is terrific news! Keep up the good work (and particular congratulations on knowing how to figure out the BMI).

    --Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter...thanks for sharing this good news. We think of you every day, and prayers are there. Hope on March 1, the little bastard has departed or become just a teeny tiny little bastard!

    Love you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter. Hooray! I was hoping to hear this good news. I am so glad that you are feeling better. I don't have a good vocabulary to respond to bad news and difficult times. Be sure to know that I have been following your progress and wish you continued improvement.
    With love,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.