Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving from Down Yonder Farm

Greetings!

I had to look back at what I wrote in the last post.  I see that we were still hoping to make it to NY for the family Thanksgiving gathering, and that didn't happen.  Amanda, Alejandro, Jessie, Matt, and Levin did make it, though, and are all with Peter's mom, Sunny, and his sister, Karen, in Rye, NY, right now.  Sunny called this morning just thrilled with Levin's presence in her home.


All but Sunny will head into the city for the evening gathering.  If Levin wasn't a party boy before, he will be now.  He will be covered in kisses all evening I am sure.  I will really miss being there.


Peter and I are appreciating a really quiet day here.  Things have been way too busy, but now all the medical equipment has been delivered and appointments scheduled, and Peter's sister will be here on Monday.  We're moving into this next phase of life.


I see that I posted this last time:   "Talking on the phone is difficult for Peter, as it causes him to cough, and he doesn't have strength for visitors right now."  


This remains true.  But you need to know that answering calls and retrieving messages is very stressful for me now, too.  I want to concentrate my energies on taking care of Peter, and he needs more of me now.  I changed our phone messages to ask you not to call or leave messages.  Please respect that request.  If I see a message, I will assume it is urgent.


But email works!  Peter is active on his tablet when he is awake, and loves hearing from you.  So email away.  Tell him funny stories and send him pictures.  Upbeat messages are best (he says).  I am on email, too, and Facebook.

Ages ago I found this article and it was really meaningful to me, not only with Peter's illness, but it helped me with challenges that friends have gone through.  I hope it might help you in your own challenges, or in dealing with the suffering of others:  RING THEORY.


I know what the urge to help feels like when a friend is in crisis, and we appreciate all of the offers that have come from you.  My high-school friend, Michele, who lost her husband several years ago, advised me to respond by handing out tasks.


That will come, but right now tasks require some orchestration, and we don't have the energy for that.  For me, doing the things that need doing is feels good to me right now--part of the rhythm of life.  But Peter and I started a list and, when the time is right, I'll post it.  


For now, just accept our appreciation for your offers, and if you have something specific in mind, send an email.


Much love from Down Yonder Farm,
Susan and Peter



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.