Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Bit More Information

Someone pointed out that we haven't really said what's up with Peter here.  After some weeks of having some trouble swallowing certain foods, on Thursday, November 17 Peter had an endoscopy that revealed esophageal cancer.  We decided to keep our plans to go to NY for Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, November 29, we had the first follow-up to the diagnosis...the EUS already mentioned.  Tomorrow (Dec.1) he has a PET scan (or PET CT...we're not sure) that will tell us if the cancer has spread elsewhere (the close-up view of the EUS was mostly positive).  Following the 6:45 a.m. scan (!) we have three appointments with doctors...the surgeon (surgery usually follows other treatments), the radiation oncologist, and the medical oncologist.

Our first interaction with Duke Medicine was positive.  I  (Susan) used to be a "dorm mother" (Resident Advisor) in the School of Nursing dorm (Hanes House) within a stone's throw of the Duke Clinics.  It would be really convenient if they'd give me my old apartment back.  Peter liked it because it had a really big bathtub.

Thank you all for calls and check-ins.  This website will help us communicate.  Post funny things to keep Peter laughing...that's his best therapy.  Send messages in song lyrics. Suggest funny movies.  Things like that.

Right now we don't need food, and when we do it might be pretty specific...so one friend has already offered to organize a website for meals when the time comes.  My horsey friends are taking care of the barn. Could possibly use some manure muckers in the future.

We feel very fortunate to live near the medical center, and have our wonderful caring daughters close by, plus all of you, our extended family and good friends. People at my work are being super supportive, and the wonderful alumni and friends of the Johnson Intern Program (where I work) will be helping cover things for me there.

Right now Peter feels pretty good, and is continuing to bike and exercise most everyday.  I've been focusing on work so that I can take off from work.  I have a stack of books to read in the waiting room, and my Droid is already proving helpful for staying connected (the clinics have wireless).

Onward to tomorrow.  We love you.
--Susan and Peter



5 comments:

  1. Hey all...just testing this, since some folks say they can't post messages. I am trying from my AOL account. Will see what happens.

    --It asked for my "profile," which could be a google account (free for everyone, even if you don't want to use gmail), or wordpress or typepad, etc. I chose AIM, and that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...except for all the numbers at the beginning. It is me, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz here, obviously yall are in my prayers. Movies though- the ones I currently watch over and over are How to Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me. Both kids movies, but both awesome. And adorable (which is really pretty much a requirement for any movie I am going to watch more than once). And don't require much focus for sleepy days (which I have had a lot of the past couple of years). Oh! Also Fantastic Mr. Fox. That movie is just fascinating to watch from a filming/ animation standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Inspector Clouseau movies. other classics such as Blazing Saddles....especially if you haven't seen them in a while...it's amazing how they stand the test of time and yet still point out how different our lives are now especially with technology. Tom D'Amico's the best. I'm sure you are in great hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are having trouble posting...I signed in as a Google Account. To post, I ended up clicking on the preview button and then typing in the "word verification" prompt. This may help some of you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! To do so, choose your email server as "profile." If you have AOL. choose AIM or choose anonymous if nothing else works...but be sure to leave your name! Your comments will not show up immediately. Thanks.